Welham Green woman crowned our Good Neighbour Award winner
SHAKING and crying – this month s Good Neighbour Award winner was overcome with emotion upon hearing the delightful news. Marilyn Hurley, of Somers Road in Welham Green, has been crowned the well-deserved victor of our second month's hunt for Times Ter
SHAKING and crying - this month's Good Neighbour Award winner was overcome with emotion upon hearing the "delightful" news.
Marilyn Hurley, of Somers Road in Welham Green, has been crowned the well-deserved victor of our second month's hunt for Times Territory's perfect neighbour.
The mum-of-three and grandmother-of-two "with a heart of gold" was nominated by next-door neighbour Tina Hawkins.
And, because of this she has won a fabulous �100 luxury food and drink hamper, courtesy of Tesco.
You may also want to watch:
Tina, 39, nominated Marilyn, 57 - who suffered a stroke five years ago - because "nothing is ever too much trouble for her" and she cuts the front lawns for six neighbours regularly.
When the Welwyn & Hatfield Times tried to break the good news to Marilyn she was out...working on her neighbours' gardens!
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 7 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 10 Lessons from Auschwitz: Why we must keep talking about the Holocaust
When we finally managed to get hold of the busy woman she beamed: "You're joking.
"I have never won anything in my life.
"All I do is to trim the hedges for the neighbours and the grass verges."
Crying, Marilyn, who has known Tina for 10 years, added: "I don't know what to say. "I am shaking.
"My neighbours mean the world to me.
"I love them all to bits."
Marilyn, who has been married to Jeoff, 57, for 39 years in December, has suffered with epileptic fits since her stroke.
She told how helping her neighbours keeps her "mentally going" and how Tina is also a great neighbour.
"Tina is good to me too.
"I phone her when I am getting in the bath and when I get out to let her know I am ok and have not had a fit."
Upon hearing the good news that her "perfect" neighbour had won, mum-of-three and registered childminder Tina said: "I am so pleased.
"She has a heart of gold and does everything for us all."
Remember to get your entries in by September 9 to be in with a chance of your "perfect" neighbour winning a hamper in our final month's Good Neighbour Award.
Application forms can be collected from our Howardsgate office or downloaded online at www.whtimes24.co.uk