Welham Green woman crowned our Good Neighbour Award winner
SHAKING and crying – this month s Good Neighbour Award winner was overcome with emotion upon hearing the delightful news. Marilyn Hurley, of Somers Road in Welham Green, has been crowned the well-deserved victor of our second month's hunt for Times Ter
SHAKING and crying - this month's Good Neighbour Award winner was overcome with emotion upon hearing the "delightful" news.
Marilyn Hurley, of Somers Road in Welham Green, has been crowned the well-deserved victor of our second month's hunt for Times Territory's perfect neighbour.
The mum-of-three and grandmother-of-two "with a heart of gold" was nominated by next-door neighbour Tina Hawkins.
And, because of this she has won a fabulous �100 luxury food and drink hamper, courtesy of Tesco.
You may also want to watch:
Tina, 39, nominated Marilyn, 57 - who suffered a stroke five years ago - because "nothing is ever too much trouble for her" and she cuts the front lawns for six neighbours regularly.
When the Welwyn & Hatfield Times tried to break the good news to Marilyn she was out...working on her neighbours' gardens!
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 5 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 6 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 9 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
When we finally managed to get hold of the busy woman she beamed: "You're joking.
"I have never won anything in my life.
"All I do is to trim the hedges for the neighbours and the grass verges."
Crying, Marilyn, who has known Tina for 10 years, added: "I don't know what to say. "I am shaking.
"My neighbours mean the world to me.
"I love them all to bits."
Marilyn, who has been married to Jeoff, 57, for 39 years in December, has suffered with epileptic fits since her stroke.
She told how helping her neighbours keeps her "mentally going" and how Tina is also a great neighbour.
"Tina is good to me too.
"I phone her when I am getting in the bath and when I get out to let her know I am ok and have not had a fit."
Upon hearing the good news that her "perfect" neighbour had won, mum-of-three and registered childminder Tina said: "I am so pleased.
"She has a heart of gold and does everything for us all."
Remember to get your entries in by September 9 to be in with a chance of your "perfect" neighbour winning a hamper in our final month's Good Neighbour Award.
Application forms can be collected from our Howardsgate office or downloaded online at www.whtimes24.co.uk