Storm weather warning in Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The Met Office has issued a weather warning for thunderstorms that may hit Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar before dawn.
After days of bright sunshine, the light has taken an ominous shade, heralding a break from the heat and potential thunderstorms.
The stormy weather is predicted to land between the rest of today (August 7) and 3am (August 8), bringing thundery showers.
Temperatures, which reached a high of 29°C today, are not predicted to climb higher than 20°C tomorrow.
Thirsty lawns will appreciate the forecast for Thursday (August 9), which has a 60 per cent chance of further rain.
The yellow weather alert covers much of the East of England, and warns: “There is a slight chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost.
“Where lightning strikes or flooding occurs, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to train and bus services.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets in Local Plan
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 6 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 7 Grant Shapps reveals ‘anger’ over ‘unacceptable’ Downing Street parties
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 10 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
“Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
“There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds.”