‘Wimps’ jibe over suspension of Welwyn Hatfield refuse collections – as ‘partial’ return announced
- Credit: Archant
A PARTIAL refuse collection service will take place today after a two day suspension of services due to heavy snow fall and ice.
A spokesperson for the Welwyn Hatfield council said: “We are operating a partial refuse, recycling and compost service today.
“Where it appears safe to do so, our crews will attempt to empty bins presented from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday’s collections.
“Residents are assured that every effort will be made to catch up on the outstanding collections, so please continue leave your bin out for collection as normal. An update will be given if there’s a change to this situation.”
However, a lack of rubbish collections on Monday and Tuesday has been slammed by residents of Welwyn Hatfield.
You may also want to watch:
Sean Caulfield, of Stuart Street, Old Welwyn, said there is no reason why the refuse collections should be suspended.
He said: “Everyone, even the pensioners, managed to drag their bins onto the roadsides, even though the side streets have not been gritted.
- 1 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 3 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 4 Parents thank school for going 'above and beyond' to include children who had to shield for over a year
- 5 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses
- 6 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 7 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 10 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
“So why couldn’t the council come and collect them?
“It’s another case of health and safety madness. This is the third year that they have wimped out of the job. It’s just another debacle from Welwyn Hatfield Council.”
Lib Dem councillor Malcolm Cowan waded into the debate and said Welwyn Hatfield was one of just two authorities not collecting waste yesterday (Tuesday).
He said: “Everyone is making some effort, except Welwyn Hatfield and Stevenage.
“Some of the roads have been clear for several days.”
Welwyn Hatfield Council said it stopped rubbish collections for the second day in a row because of the danger from slippery compacted snow.
A spokeswoman for the council said: “Compacted snow and ice on many side roads and pavements make conditions unsafe for our collection vehicles and staff to be working on the vast majority of the borough’s roads.
“Residents are assured that every effort will be made to catch up with collections when and if it is feasible to do so, but if the conditions persist this may not be possible.
“Please keep up-to-date by checking our website for further updates.”