Snow warning for Hertfordshire
- Credit: Archant
There is a chance of snow in Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and Potters Bar tonight.
The Met Office has issued a warning for severe weather across Hertfordshire.
The ‘yellow warning’ means that there is likely to be sleet and snow tonight, which will gradually clear on Thursday morning.
According to the Met Office, two to five centimetres of snow could fall during the night in the space of about two to three hours.
The Chief Forecaster stated on the Met Office website: “There is a risk of rain turning to snow in places. As nearly always in such situations, the rain-snow balance will be a tricky one, influenced by how heavy the precipitation is (the heavier it is, the more likely that the rain will turn to snow).
You may also want to watch:
“For this reason, across some parts of the area, the precipitation may stay as light rain, while other places may see enough snow to cause a few problems.”
Temperatures in Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and Potters Bar are predicted to reach a minimum temperature of 1°C tonight, falling to -1°C tomorrow.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 4 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 5 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Welwyn Hatfield Council has advised residents to sign up to text alerts to be notified if bin collections are disrupted by the weather. To sign up to text alerts text WASTE followed by your house number or house name and your postcode to 88020