Snow chaos - Welwyn Hatfield residents’ views
READERS have inundated the WHT newsdesk about the chaos caused by just a few inches of snow.
You can join the debate and send us your pictures too by emailing email@example.com or by commenting below.
“Why is it that every year pedestrians in WGC run the risk of broken bones because the Borough Council - who are supposed to be encouraging pedestrians - do not ensure that ice covered pavements are gritted ?
“Today, Saturday 19th December, there was a market outside the Howard Centre, therefore more shoppers than ever, and the pavement was an ice rink.
You may also want to watch:
“Two members of my family fell there in separate incidents - I wonder how many more people did?.”
A resident from Oakdale, WGC
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 7 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 8 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 9 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 10 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
“I would be interested in other local residents views on salting/gritting our streets.
“I live in a street which is on a “post” gritting route (they only grit AFTER the ice/snow has set in!!)
“However it is impossible to find out WHEN this will be done, having spoken to the Hertfordshire Highways (info/helpline !!!)
“AGAIN today, there is not a single person that can tell me when its going to be done, you just get the same patter “I can put a request in for you”.
“However this still doesn’t mean its going to be done.
“I fully realise that major road needs to be gritted first, but some five days after the ice has set in there is still no sign of a gritter.
“They they have been down Knightsfield, the main road off Oakdale, logic would suggest as Oakdale is on the gritting route they turn down there!!!
“Yet again this country inevitably manages to come to a stand still at the first sign of snow.
“They say it boils down to cost, however the wasted man hours spent stuck on roads or not being able to get in to work and education hours when schools are shut, must amount to a huge figure. “Why don’t we have gritting bins on the streets?
“I’m sure residents would be more then happy to use them when needed as many road are not on gritting routes at all.
“Perhaps this is something the local councils should look in to.”
Tony Crook said:
“WelHat Council fail once again to grit any roads.
“No sign of gritters over the weekend, snow forecast Monday evening.
“Any gritters about during Monday afternoon?