Residents’ fury over Welwyn Hatfield rubbish collection
MOUNTAINS of rotting waste are collecting around Times Territory – a result of refuse collection services being cancelled due to the adverse weather.
After the worst cold snap in 30 years decimated public services across the country, The Welwyn Hatfield Times has been inundated this week with calls and emails from furious taxpayers, who say they have not had their rubbish picked up since before Christmas.
Welwyn Hatfield Council called off contractor Serco’s normal refuse and recycling collections during the adverse weather, but residents say the weather is no excuse for the state the roads have been left in, described by Hatfield resident Patricia Martin as “like living in a dump”.
“We’ve been stepping over tons of rubbish for days now, it’s disgusting,” said Mrs Martin, from The Downs.
Fellow Hatfield resident Maureen Allen, from Cherry Way, said: “I know the weather we’ve had has made collecting refuse extremely hard, but it will be three weeks on Thursday since our rubbish was last collected.
You may also want to watch:
“All the council said was they would get onto Serco.
“We asked for Serco’s number and they said they could not pass it on. It’s totally unacceptable.”
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best