Warning over possible flooding on Hertfordshire roads
- Credit: Mia Jankowicz
After a snowy start, here’s the weather forecast for your drive home and overnight tonight (December 27) around Welwyn Hatfield, St Albans, Stevenage, Hitchin and Potters Bar.
Herts County Council’s highways Twitter feed has warned drivers to take care driving in standing water melted from today’s snow.
They advise not to drive through standing or moving water more than 10cm (4in) deep.
Their gritters have been out since 4pm to treat priority routes.
The Met Office has issued a Yellow weather warning for ice for between 4pm today and 11am December 28.
You may also want to watch:
A Yellow warning means this has a medium likelihood and is likely to have a low impact.
The Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit warned: “Stopping distances increase by up to 10 times in the snow/ice.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 3 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 6 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
“Give yourself time to react and time to brake.”
Visibility is predicted to be rated Good or Very Good between 4-11pm tonight.
Temperatures should remain between 0-2°, but will feel like anything between -2° and -6°.
We are currently looking at a cloudless night and a sparkling sunny morning tomorrow to complement what’s left of the snow.