Warning over possible flooding on Hertfordshire roads
- Credit: Mia Jankowicz
After a snowy start, here’s the weather forecast for your drive home and overnight tonight (December 27) around Welwyn Hatfield, St Albans, Stevenage, Hitchin and Potters Bar.
Herts County Council’s highways Twitter feed has warned drivers to take care driving in standing water melted from today’s snow.
They advise not to drive through standing or moving water more than 10cm (4in) deep.
Their gritters have been out since 4pm to treat priority routes.
The Met Office has issued a Yellow weather warning for ice for between 4pm today and 11am December 28.
You may also want to watch:
A Yellow warning means this has a medium likelihood and is likely to have a low impact.
The Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit warned: “Stopping distances increase by up to 10 times in the snow/ice.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 3 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 4 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 7 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 8 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
“Give yourself time to react and time to brake.”
Visibility is predicted to be rated Good or Very Good between 4-11pm tonight.
Temperatures should remain between 0-2°, but will feel like anything between -2° and -6°.
We are currently looking at a cloudless night and a sparkling sunny morning tomorrow to complement what’s left of the snow.