Welwyn Garden City opera singer won’t take snow for an answer
- Credit: supplied by Gemma Turner
Storm Emma wreaked havoc in Welwyn Hatfield last week - but met her match with plucky singer Gemma.
Trains, buses and roads were all disrupted last week and over the weekend thanks to heavy snowfall and low visibility.
But one determined young songstress wasn’t about to let the plummeting temperatures beat her.
Professional opera singer Gemma Turner, from Welwyn Garden City, was facing a battle against the elements to make it to her concert in Surrey on Saturday March 3.
But she wasn’t going to let the snow beat her, and commandeered her dad’s Land Rover fully dressed in her concert ball gown.
She said defiantly: “The weather conditions were so bad, but I have never not done a performance, and this show wasn’t going to be any different!”
In low visibility and heavy snow, she persevered to make the one and a half hour journey to West Byfleet golf club, and even got there early.
- 1 Remembering WGC stalwart Robert Robinson
- 2 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 3 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 4 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 5 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 6 Rent this Welwyn townhouse with River Mimram views for £2,400pcm
- 7 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 8 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 9 Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s Wicked movies to be filmed at new Sky Studios Elstree in Hertfordshire
- 10 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
She said: “They were so chuffed that I’d made it.
“It’s going to take more than Storm Emma to stop Gemma!”
To read more about Gemma’s singing, see www.gemmaturner.co.uk