Welwyn Garden City opera singer won’t take snow for an answer
- Credit: supplied by Gemma Turner
Storm Emma wreaked havoc in Welwyn Hatfield last week - but met her match with plucky singer Gemma.
Trains, buses and roads were all disrupted last week and over the weekend thanks to heavy snowfall and low visibility.
But one determined young songstress wasn’t about to let the plummeting temperatures beat her.
Professional opera singer Gemma Turner, from Welwyn Garden City, was facing a battle against the elements to make it to her concert in Surrey on Saturday March 3.
But she wasn’t going to let the snow beat her, and commandeered her dad’s Land Rover fully dressed in her concert ball gown.
You may also want to watch:
She said defiantly: “The weather conditions were so bad, but I have never not done a performance, and this show wasn’t going to be any different!”
In low visibility and heavy snow, she persevered to make the one and a half hour journey to West Byfleet golf club, and even got there early.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 5 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 6 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 7 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 8 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 9 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
- 10 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
She said: “They were so chuffed that I’d made it.
“It’s going to take more than Storm Emma to stop Gemma!”
To read more about Gemma’s singing, see www.gemmaturner.co.uk