Welwyn Garden City opera singer won’t take snow for an answer
- Credit: supplied by Gemma Turner
Storm Emma wreaked havoc in Welwyn Hatfield last week - but met her match with plucky singer Gemma.
Trains, buses and roads were all disrupted last week and over the weekend thanks to heavy snowfall and low visibility.
But one determined young songstress wasn’t about to let the plummeting temperatures beat her.
Professional opera singer Gemma Turner, from Welwyn Garden City, was facing a battle against the elements to make it to her concert in Surrey on Saturday March 3.
But she wasn’t going to let the snow beat her, and commandeered her dad’s Land Rover fully dressed in her concert ball gown.
She said defiantly: “The weather conditions were so bad, but I have never not done a performance, and this show wasn’t going to be any different!”
In low visibility and heavy snow, she persevered to make the one and a half hour journey to West Byfleet golf club, and even got there early.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 8 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 9 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 10 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
She said: “They were so chuffed that I’d made it.
“It’s going to take more than Storm Emma to stop Gemma!”
To read more about Gemma’s singing, see www.gemmaturner.co.uk