Big freeze hits Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City and Potters Bar hard
IT was another blank weekend for the region’s three main football clubs.
JUST as sporting fixtures looked to be getting back on track after poor weather earlier this month, the big freeze hit football matches once more across Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and Potters Bar yesterday (Saturday).
A light sprinkling of snow and freezing conditions early on Saturday put paid to Hatfield Town’s Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division game at Herns Lane against Hillingdon Borough, despite bright sunshine during the morning.
Welwyn Garden City’s derby against near neighbours Hertford Town at Hertingfordbury Park was also postponed.
Potters Bar Town and Cheshunt were both happy to play their Ryman League Division One North encounter at the South Mimms Travel Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
However, the referee felt the pitch wasn’t playable and called the derby match off.
AFC Hatfield Town’s game away at Harpenden Rovers was another victim of the weather on Saturday.
- 1 Hertsmere MP Oliver Dowden appointed Tory co-chairman but loses secretary role
- 2 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 18 Insulate Britain protesters arrested at M25 and A1 demonstrations
- 7 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 8 Historic Green Belt site under threat
- 9 M25 by South Mimms blocked by climate protesters
- 10 Boy hit by car during Hatfield altercation
The Herts Senior County League match was called off by the referee 20 minutes before kick-off.
AFC chairman Neil Clixby said: “There was an unexpected dusting of snow overnight.
“Most of the pitch was playable, but one of the goalmouths was frozen solid and playing on it would have been dangerous to both goalkeepers.”
All games in the Welwyn Hatfield Sunday Football League today (Sunday) were also postponed due to frozen pitches.