Water fun day for family at UK premiere of Johnny Depp movie
A NINE-YEAR-OLD boy’s ideas on how to save water led to a fun family day out at the UK premiere of animated blockbuster Rango.
Josh House was named the winner of a competition organised for staff by Hatfield water firm Veolia Water, where his mum Justine works.
Rango is a chameleon voiced by Johnny Depp who, in the movie, saves the thirsty town of Dirt’s water supply from evil villains.
And in the competition youngsters had to write a poem detailing how they would join Rango on his water-saving quest.
Josh, from Brookmans Park, said he would remind his mum and brother Tom to have shorter showers, and that he would not let the water run while brushing his teeth.
You may also want to watch:
Named the winner, the prize was a trip to Leicester Square for the movie’s UK premiere, which included a family fun day.
The session was hosted by characters from the film and included sheriff badge making, balloon modelling, magicians and a real-life desert creature display.
- 1 Six-year-old to raise money for Afghan refugees with readathon
- 2 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 3 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 4 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 5 Liam Gallagher sells out his two Knebworth Park 2022 shows
- 6 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 7 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
Josh’s mum Justine, who works in HR at Veolia’s office in Tamblin Way, said: “We all thoroughly enjoyed the day and the film, which had a very strong water efficiency message.”
Rango is now helping to spearhead a UK-wide water efficiency campaign backed by 11 water companies, including Veolia.
The campaign was launched to coincide with World Water Day on March 22.
Nick Gilbert, who manages Veolia’s water efficiency programme, said: “Rango is a fun, family film with a serious message about water efficiency.
“We all use around 150 litres of water every day and even a small reduction in that use will benefit the environment, the energy used by water companies and the energy we use in our homes.”