Waitrose to open in South Mimms
HIGH-END supermarket chain Waitrose has announced its first ever franchise deal with leading motorway services operator, Welcome Break. The agreement, announced last Wednesday, will see two new stores open – one on the M25 in South Mimms
HIGH-END supermarket chain Waitrose has announced its first ever franchise deal with leading motorway services operator, Welcome Break.
The agreement, announced last Wednesday, will see two new stores open - one on the M25 in South Mimms and the other on the M40 at Oxford Services. Both stores, which are 2,500sq ft, will create 50 jobs in total.
The South Mimms store, which is due to open on May 15, will offer more than 850 food lines and will operate from 7am until 10pm every day of the year.
In addition to everyday items such as sandwiches, salads and drinks, customers will be able to carry out a "top up" shop on items such as bread, milk and ready meals.
You may also want to watch:
Waitrose managing director Mark Price said it was a "very exciting" time for the company and added: "It's a challenging economic environment, but we continue to grow our share of regular visitors."
Rod McKie is the chief executive of Welcome Break.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Police disperse large group near the university
- 4 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 5 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 8 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 9 Post delayed due to staff self-isolating at Royal Mail
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
He said: "We are delighted that Waitrose has chosen Welcome Break for its franchise operation in the UK and are looking forward to opening the two stores in May.
"The addition of Waitrose will enable us to further satisfy the requirements of the travelling motorist."
The deal follows the retailer's January announcement that up to 4,000 new partners were to join Waitrose with the opening of 22 new stores in 2009.