Waitrose to open at South Mimms service centre
HIGH-END supermarket chain Waitrose has announced its first ever franchise deal with leading motorway services operator, Welcome Break. The agreement, announced last Wednesday, will see two new stores open – one on the M25 in South Mimms
HIGH-END supermarket chain Waitrose has announced its first ever franchise deal with leading motorway services operator, Welcome Break.
The agreement, announced last Wednesday, will see two new stores open - one on the M25 in South Mimms and the other on the M40 at Oxford Services. Both stores, which are 2,500sq ft, will create 50 jobs in total.
The South Mimms store, which is due to open on May 15, will offer more than 850 food lines and will operate from 7am until 10pm every day of the year.
In addition to everyday items such as sandwiches, salads and drinks, customers will be able to carry out a "top up" shop on items such as bread, milk and ready meals.
Waitrose managing director Mark Price said it was a "very exciting" time for the company and added: "It's a challenging economic environment, but we continue to grow our share of regular visitors."
Rod McKie is the chief executive of Welcome Break.
- 1 Hunt for stolen labrador puppy from Welwyn Garden City
- 2 LIVE: Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield A-level results 2022
- 3 Disney's Encanto, The Greatest Showman and Spider-Man movie set for free outdoor cinema in Welwyn Garden City town centre
- 4 Food supplements worth £100s stolen from Holland and Barrett shop
- 5 Overgrown country lane 'is danger' to users, says mother
- 6 Campaigners hit out at Spectator’s ‘the folly of garden cities’ piece
- 7 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 8 Rave reviews for Classic Ibiza concert ahead of Hatfield House return
- 9 Enjoy the battle for the best firework display at Hatfield House
- 10 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
He said: "We are delighted that Waitrose has chosen Welcome Break for its franchise operation in the UK and are looking forward to opening the two stores in May.
"The addition of Waitrose will enable us to further satisfy the requirements of the travelling motorist."
The deal follows the retailer's January announcement that up to 4,000 new partners were to join Waitrose with the opening of 22 new stores in 2009.