‘Vote Yes to AV’ probe at Welwyn Hatfield Council
AN investigation has been launched after leaflets for the YES campaign were sent out in official Welwyn Hatfield Council envelopes.
With the vote for the Alternative Vote (AV) tomorrow (Thursday) the council’s chief executive Michel Saminaden has made a public announcement stating the literature is nothing to do with the authority, which “remains neutral” on the subject.
In the announcement Mr Saminaden said: “It has come to our attention that on at least two occasions council envelopes have been used for the delivery of publicity material relating to the forthcoming referendum on the voting system for UK parliamentary elections.
“The council is not allowed by law to publish material relating to a referendum which express support for or opposition to a particular answer to a referendum question and Welwyn Hatfield Council has not done so.”
Speaking to the WHT he added: “The publicity material sent out contained a ‘vote yes’ message on the imminent referendum on the Alternative Voting (AV) system.
You may also want to watch:
“An investigation into the source of this material is now underway, but it is too early to say what action will be taken until further facts are established.”
- 1 Six-year-old to raise money for Afghan refugees with readathon
- 2 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 3 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 4 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 5 Liam Gallagher sells out his two Knebworth Park 2022 shows
- 6 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 7 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement