Villagers raise almost �10,000 for Essendon church
VILLAGERS have made themselves heard by raising almost �10,000 for their church. The 2009 Essendon Village Garden Open Day raised a staggering �9,500 for St Mary s Church in Church Street. Some of the money will go towards updating the church s antiquated
VILLAGERS have made themselves heard by raising almost �10,000 for their church.
The 2009 Essendon Village Garden Open Day raised a staggering �9,500 for St Mary's Church in Church Street.
Some of the money will go towards updating the church's antiquated sound system, which had been causing problems for parishioners who are hard of hearing.
The rest will go towards the building's day-to-day care and maintenance, and to improve the heating system.
You may also want to watch:
A total of 19 villagers opened up their gardens to the public, as well as metal workers at The Forge on Essendon Hill and the Flint Stable Studio in West End.
It was the 14th open day of its kind in Essendon since villagers first held the biennial event in 1983.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 6 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
Church warden Anne Mitcheson said: "It's the best open day we've ever had and it was such a happy village day."
Joan Thomson, secretary of the Parochial Church Council, said: "It was a great day because it involved so many of the villagers and more gardens than ever before.
"In a small village like this, these kind of events are very important.
"We didn't expect to raise as much as we did.
"Times being what they were, we'd prepared for lower takings, but I think the weather certainly helped.