Video: Fire chief recalls Hatfield House "blaze"
AS firefighters tackled a severe blaze at Hatfield House on Monday night, our reporters here at the Welwyn & Hatfield Times were hot on their case, trying to dig out the facts behind the mock exercise. We soon discovered the flames had begun in the kitc
AS firefighters tackled a "severe blaze" at Hatfield House on Monday night, our reporters here at the Welwyn & Hatfield Times were hot on their case, trying to dig out the facts behind the mock exercise.
We soon discovered the flames had begun in the kitchen and the firefighters were battling to keep it from spreading.
A salvation project was also in hand to try and recover many of the priceless goods within the 17th century house, which included the precious Rainbow Portrait of Elizabeth I.
Once completed, group commander Peter Boast, who was in charge of the operation, spoke to us about how well the operation went.
You may also want to watch:
Click on the video above to hear what he had to say.
- 1 Hertsmere MP Oliver Dowden appointed Tory co-chairman but loses secretary role
- 2 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 18 Insulate Britain protesters arrested at M25 and A1 demonstrations
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 M25 by South Mimms blocked by climate protesters
- 7 Historic Green Belt site under threat
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 Boy hit by car during Hatfield altercation
- 10 Hertsmere: 6,000 home development included in Local Plan