Victory for Hatfield residents as Royal Mail reverses postbox decision
AFTER a damaged postbox was removed from their road, residents were crest-fallen to learn Royal Mail did not intend to replace it.
Faced with what they felt was too long a walk to post their mail, the people living in The Downs and The Chilterns in Hatfield gathered a petition calling for it to be reinstated.
When their request was turned down, they called on Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps – and his pressure has seen Royal Mail bosses reverse their decision.
He wrote to senior officials to explain the next nearest postbox was at the Hilltop parade, which was too far for many of the elderly and disabled residents living in those two streets to get to.
When he visited The Downs to meet residents, Mr Shapps said: “The crazy thing is that a postal van actually stops at the exact location every day because there happens to be a separate lock-up box there for the postman to use during his round.
You may also want to watch:
“I therefore argued there was no additional inconvenience involved in replacing the knocked down postbox at this location.”
A spokesman for Royal Mail said the postbox was one deemed “low usage”.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Thanks Dad! WHT readers send 2,500 Father's Day messages
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
He said: “Sometimes when a box like that gets damaged we don’t replace it, especially if there is another box within a suitable radius.
“But we listened to what the residents said and what the MP said, and reviewed the decision.”
A new postbox is set to be installed in The Downs in the next few weeks.
Mr Shapps said he was delighted with the change of heart.
He added: “I pay tribute to Royal Mail for responding to genuine public concern on this occasion and to my residents for refusing to take no for an answer.”