Update: Welwyn roads 'Gridlocked' after fire destroys pub
TRAFFIC is gridlocked in Welwyn this morning (Tuesday), after an earlier fire that destroyed a 14th century building. High Street, Church Road and a section of Codicote Road next to the St Mary s Church are all closed as firefighters try to control the bl
TRAFFIC is gridlocked in Welwyn this morning (Tuesday), after an earlier fire that destroyed a 14th century building.
High Street, Church Road and a section of Codicote Road next to the St Mary's Church are all closed as firefighters try to control the blaze at the Wellington Pub in High Street, that has been going since the early hours of this morning.
Welwyn & Hatfield Times editor Terry Mitchinson, who was at the scene this morning, said that traffic was "gridlocked" and urged motorists to use alternative routes.
Three quarters of the roof is reported to have collapsed, and there is significant water damage to the first floor.
You may also want to watch:
Nobody was hurt in the fire, which started just after 4am.
*Did you see the fire? Contact the newsdesk on 01707 384 180 or send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street