Update: Welwyn roads 'Gridlocked' after fire destroys pub
TRAFFIC is gridlocked in Welwyn this morning (Tuesday), after an earlier fire that destroyed a 14th century building. High Street, Church Road and a section of Codicote Road next to the St Mary s Church are all closed as firefighters try to control the bl
TRAFFIC is gridlocked in Welwyn this morning (Tuesday), after an earlier fire that destroyed a 14th century building.
High Street, Church Road and a section of Codicote Road next to the St Mary's Church are all closed as firefighters try to control the blaze at the Wellington Pub in High Street, that has been going since the early hours of this morning.
Welwyn & Hatfield Times editor Terry Mitchinson, who was at the scene this morning, said that traffic was "gridlocked" and urged motorists to use alternative routes.
Three quarters of the roof is reported to have collapsed, and there is significant water damage to the first floor.
You may also want to watch:
Nobody was hurt in the fire, which started just after 4am.
*Did you see the fire? Contact the newsdesk on 01707 384 180 or send your photos to email@example.com
- 1 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 2 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 3 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 7 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 8 Conservatives hit back at Lib Dems over Local Plan collapse claims
- 9 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas