Update: Tesco moves jobs from Welwyn Garden City to India
SUPERMARKET giant Tesco is transferring jobs from its WGC headquarters to India, leaving workers facing redundancy. Bosses have drafted in employees from their Bangalore office to learn the ropes from British counterparts. Staff from the 3,000-strong wo
SUPERMARKET giant Tesco is transferring jobs from its WGC headquarters to India, leaving workers facing redundancy.
Bosses have drafted in employees from their Bangalore office to learn the ropes from British counterparts.
Staff from the 3,000-strong workforce at Shire Park, WGC, contacted the WHT after seeing a story on our website, www.whtimes24.co.uk in which Tesco bosses denied rumours of big job losses.
One emotional worker said: "The Indian workers have spent the last two weeks doing our jobs, we have just had to sit and watch them take over.
You may also want to watch:
"It's horrible. People are really worried about finding another job."
A colleague who works in corporate purchasing added: "The whole department is being made redundant on April 14.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 6 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 7 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Report shows staggering increase in fly-tipping across Herts over past year
"All but three managers and two co-ordinators are going.
The person claimed 100 jobs were to go.
"Everybody is really shocked.
"They are trying to keep it quiet, but everyone is worried, especially in the current climate. I have a family to support."
Another worker added: "They have been laying people off for months."
A Tesco spokesman confirmed 20 jobs were being transferred to the company's Indian office, but denied reports of 100 staff at Shire Park losing their jobs.
The WHT previously reported that 10 full-time warehouse workers were being made redundant at the supermarket's depot in Travellers Lane, Welham Green.
A report in the Financial Mail on Sunday stated "deeper than usual cuts" were planned at head offices later this month.
The spokesman added: "There are going to be small departmental losses.
"But we are not talking about sweeping redundancies.