Update: Tesco moves jobs from Welwyn Garden City to India
SUPERMARKET giant Tesco is transferring jobs from its WGC headquarters to India, leaving workers facing redundancy. Bosses have drafted in employees from their Bangalore office to learn the ropes from British counterparts. Staff from the 3,000-strong wo
SUPERMARKET giant Tesco is transferring jobs from its WGC headquarters to India, leaving workers facing redundancy.
Bosses have drafted in employees from their Bangalore office to learn the ropes from British counterparts.
Staff from the 3,000-strong workforce at Shire Park, WGC, contacted the WHT after seeing a story on our website, www.whtimes24.co.uk in which Tesco bosses denied rumours of big job losses.
One emotional worker said: "The Indian workers have spent the last two weeks doing our jobs, we have just had to sit and watch them take over.
You may also want to watch:
"It's horrible. People are really worried about finding another job."
A colleague who works in corporate purchasing added: "The whole department is being made redundant on April 14.
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
"All but three managers and two co-ordinators are going.
The person claimed 100 jobs were to go.
"Everybody is really shocked.
"They are trying to keep it quiet, but everyone is worried, especially in the current climate. I have a family to support."
Another worker added: "They have been laying people off for months."
A Tesco spokesman confirmed 20 jobs were being transferred to the company's Indian office, but denied reports of 100 staff at Shire Park losing their jobs.
The WHT previously reported that 10 full-time warehouse workers were being made redundant at the supermarket's depot in Travellers Lane, Welham Green.
A report in the Financial Mail on Sunday stated "deeper than usual cuts" were planned at head offices later this month.
The spokesman added: "There are going to be small departmental losses.
"But we are not talking about sweeping redundancies.