Update: Refuse collections in Welwyn Hatfield suspended for a third day
REFUSE and recycling collections are not taking place today (Wednesday) across Welwyn Hatfield. But Welwyn Hatfield Council's vital Meals on Wheel
REFUSE and recycling collections are not taking place today (Wednesday) across Welwyn Hatfield.
But Welwyn Hatfield Council's vital Meals on Wheels service is being resumed.
The service which provides hot meals for 180 elderly and disabled residents across the borough did not run on Monday or yesterday due to health and safety fears.
A council spokeswoman said the decision to not send out refuse and recycling trucks was taken by contractor Serco at 5am.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "From 5am onwards each day this week, Serco management has been visiting the areas due to be serviced.
"They have been testing conditions and assessing the viability of providing a service.
- 1 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 2 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 5 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 6 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 7 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
- 8 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 9 Everyone invited to Hatfield rail tragedy remembrance service
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
"Operatives have been held back in the hope that some sort of service could be provided, to date, regrettably, this has not been possible due to the icy weather.
"Those collections not made between Monday and today, will instead be attended to on your next scheduled day.
"A decision will be taken tomorrow - Thursday 5 February - as to whether collections due later in the week will go ahead."