Update: Refuse collections in Welwyn Hatfield suspended for a third day
REFUSE and recycling collections are not taking place today (Wednesday) across Welwyn Hatfield. But Welwyn Hatfield Council's vital Meals on Wheel
REFUSE and recycling collections are not taking place today (Wednesday) across Welwyn Hatfield.
But Welwyn Hatfield Council's vital Meals on Wheels service is being resumed.
The service which provides hot meals for 180 elderly and disabled residents across the borough did not run on Monday or yesterday due to health and safety fears.
A council spokeswoman said the decision to not send out refuse and recycling trucks was taken by contractor Serco at 5am.
She said: "From 5am onwards each day this week, Serco management has been visiting the areas due to be serviced.
"They have been testing conditions and assessing the viability of providing a service.
- 1 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 2 Remembering WGC stalwart Robert Robinson
- 3 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 5 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 6 Rent this Welwyn townhouse with River Mimram views for £2,400pcm
- 7 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 8 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 9 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
- 10 Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s Wicked movies to be filmed at new Sky Studios Elstree in Hertfordshire
"Operatives have been held back in the hope that some sort of service could be provided, to date, regrettably, this has not been possible due to the icy weather.
"Those collections not made between Monday and today, will instead be attended to on your next scheduled day.
"A decision will be taken tomorrow - Thursday 5 February - as to whether collections due later in the week will go ahead."