Update: Politicians to decide Hatfield town centre future

PUBLISHED: 15:05 07 May 2009 | UPDATED: 22:06 26 October 2009

An artist's impression of what the £100m town centre revamp would have looked like

An artist's impression of what the £100m town centre revamp would have looked like

POLITICIANS in Times Territory will come together next week to decide on the future of the beleaguered Hatfield Town Centre regeneration plan. A meeting behind closed doors has been arranged between town and borough councillors, developers St Modwen, the

POLITICIANS in Times Territory will come together next week to decide on the future of the beleaguered Hatfield Town Centre regeneration plan.

A meeting behind closed doors has been arranged between town and borough councillors, developers St Modwen, the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), to establish what is to be done with the scheme.

The WHT revealed in May last year the £100m revamp had been delayed indefinitely, a victim of the credit crunch.

And in December the regeneration plans were left in tatters after the borough council found out its application for millions of Government funding had failed.

Council leader John Dean admitted the original project had now become "unviable", but added: "It is important for all political groups to pull together to ensure we create a town centre we are proud of.

"The regeneration of Hatfield remains a major priority for everybody."

Labour group leader Margaret Birleson, who will be at next Tuesday's meeting, said: "I am encouraged all partners are determined to do its best for Hatfield in what we all agree is a challenging time."

And Liberal Democrat leader Tony Skottowe said: "With all of us around the table we can start to plan a way forward.

"We can do a lot of groundwork to get a new scheme ready in outline for when economic conditions improve and that should keep the timescale as short as possible."

But Mike Hobday, chairman of campaign group Action Hatfield, criticised the council for taking so long to arrange a meeting on the issue.

"John Dean promised a summit with St Modwen as long ago as December, it's a scandal that this now won't take place till mid-May," he said.

"There's simply no excuse for this five-month delay. Are the diaries of all the parties so full that a meeting could not have been arranged before now?


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times