University halls evacuated after blaze

PUBLISHED: 10:47 30 April 2008 | UPDATED: 21:47 26 October 2009

STUDENTS were evacuated in their masses as their halls of residence were ablaze. Over 100 University of Hertfordshire undergraduates had to vacate their digs at the de Havilland campus as a kitchen became engulfed in flames. Two fire crews were called to

STUDENTS were evacuated in their masses as their halls of residence were ablaze.

Over 100 University of Hertfordshire undergraduates had to vacate their digs at the de Havilland campus as a kitchen became engulfed in flames.

Two fire crews were called to the site on Mosquito Way, Hatfield, just before 7.30pm last night (Tuesday) and extinguished the fire within an hour.

The fire service confirmed the cause of the blaze was accidental.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times