UFO hacker’s mum ready for ‘best Christmas ever’
THE mother of a UFO enthusiast who hacked into NASA files is ready for the “best Christmas ever” after British officials dropped charges against him.
Janis Sharp, of Brookmans Park, got the news on her 64th birthday her son Gary McKinnon was now in the clear after a decade long legal battle and will not stand trial.
It comes weeks after the government ruled he would not be extradited to the USA, where he could have faced 60 years behind bars if convicted.
Mrs Sharp said: “We can get on with our lives, Gary will take time it is not something that will happen overnight.
“This is our 11th Christmas since his arrest and it is going to be the best Christmas ever, we are not going to have that kind of terror [hanging over us].
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t put it into words, for Gary it is just fantastic. I have seen Gary smile for the first time in a long time.”
Mr McKinnon, 46, admitted accessing US government computers but says he was looking for evidence of UFOs.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 5 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 7 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 8 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
Last Friday’s announcement not to prosecute comes two months after Home Secretary Theresa May stopped the Asperger Syndrome sufferer’s extradition.
Although he is now in the clear, if he goes abroad he could be snatched and spirited away to the states to stand trial.
Mrs Sharp said Barack Obama is “a good man” and should withdraw the extradition warrant.
She said: “Our country always stands by America whatever they do, it would show mutual respect and collaboration and it would be the correct thing to withdraw the extradition warrant eventually.”