UFO hacker’s mum ready for ‘best Christmas ever’
THE mother of a UFO enthusiast who hacked into NASA files is ready for the “best Christmas ever” after British officials dropped charges against him.
Janis Sharp, of Brookmans Park, got the news on her 64th birthday her son Gary McKinnon was now in the clear after a decade long legal battle and will not stand trial.
It comes weeks after the government ruled he would not be extradited to the USA, where he could have faced 60 years behind bars if convicted.
Mrs Sharp said: “We can get on with our lives, Gary will take time it is not something that will happen overnight.
“This is our 11th Christmas since his arrest and it is going to be the best Christmas ever, we are not going to have that kind of terror [hanging over us].
You may also want to watch:
“I can’t put it into words, for Gary it is just fantastic. I have seen Gary smile for the first time in a long time.”
Mr McKinnon, 46, admitted accessing US government computers but says he was looking for evidence of UFOs.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
Last Friday’s announcement not to prosecute comes two months after Home Secretary Theresa May stopped the Asperger Syndrome sufferer’s extradition.
Although he is now in the clear, if he goes abroad he could be snatched and spirited away to the states to stand trial.
Mrs Sharp said Barack Obama is “a good man” and should withdraw the extradition warrant.
She said: “Our country always stands by America whatever they do, it would show mutual respect and collaboration and it would be the correct thing to withdraw the extradition warrant eventually.”