Two ways forward for transport in Welwyn Hatfield
PUBLISHED: 12:34 26 February 2009 | UPDATED: 22:23 26 October 2009
THE core strategy lists two options for the way forward regarding transport. Motorists, divert your eyes from option one! The first option would see a 'major shift' away from car dependency, to more sustainable modes of travel, such as walking, cycling
News editor Chris Lennon continues the WHT's series of features focusing on different aspects of the core strategy - which is a blueprint that will steer development in Welwyn Hatfield until 2026. This week: transport
THE core strategy lists two options for the way forward regarding transport.
Motorists, divert your eyes from option one!
The first option would see a "major shift" away from car dependency, to more sustainable modes of travel, such as walking, cycling and public transport.
This could be achieved in a number of ways:
* Re-allocating space on a network of main roads, such as on-carriageway cycle lanes and advanced stop lines at traffic lights, to make biking safer and quicker.
* Spending money on improving walking routes, such as widening pavements and building more pedestrian crossings.
* Limiting levels of car parking at new developments.
* Making new housing estates car-free in highly-accessible areas, while providing vehicles for occasional use through 'car clubs'.
* More park-and-ride schemes to complement the University of Hertfordshire's existing facility at Angerland Common.
The second option is a package of measures to try to conform to national and regional requirements while seeking to provide solutions to current problems.
* Relieve congestion by improving junctions at hotspots.
* Building new roads.
* Limiting levels of car parking ONLY in areas most accessible by walking, cycling and public transport.
* More off-street parking provision for new developments in areas where there is already parking pressures.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.