Two people hospitalised after acid spill at University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield
PUBLISHED: 15:45 17 November 2016 | UPDATED: 15:55 17 November 2016
Two litres of acid were spilt in Hatfield, which caused two people to be taken to hospital suffering from burns.
An ambulance was called to the university campus in College Lane at 10.48am today, and fire services were called at 11.18am.
Three fire engines from Hatfield, St Albans and Hemel Hempstead were sent to the campus as well as an ambulance crew, an ambulance officer, a Hazardous Area Response Team (HART), and Herts Fire and Rescue Service’s Critical Incident Team.
Two patients were treated at the scene for minor burns to their legs, and then taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage for further treatment.
The Critical Incident Team and fire services were able to neutralise the acid using soda ash.
They left at 2.40pm and arranged a hand over with the University’s health and safety team.
A University of Hertfordshire spokesperson said: “The University can confirm an incident took place on its College Lane college campus earlier today.
“The area was evacuated and closed as a matter of precaution whilst emergency services assessed the site.
“They have now made the site safe and handed it back to the University. A full investigation is underway.”