Two new recruits for Welwyn Garden City Fire Station
TWO residents will be joining the team at WGC Fire Station, after completing a tough 14-week training course.
Nigel Atkins, 42, and Shane Bunnage, 25, will become retained firefighters.
Nigel already works as a firefighter at Luton Airport, while Shane works full-time for Welwyn Hatfield Council.
The pair, who honed their skills over three-and-a-half months at the service’s training centre in Stevenage, took part in the traditional pass out parade after completing their training.
The county’s chief fire officer Roy Wilsher said: “All our retained firefighters are highly trained and ready to deal with a range of incidents; responding to emergency calls at a moment’s notice.
You may also want to watch:
“They are an asset to their community and our service and we are proud to have them on board.”
The fire and rescue service is overseen by Hertfordshire County Council.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
Cllr Keith Emsall said: “The pass out parade is a very proud moment for our firefighters as it is recognition of the hard work they put into the course.”
To become a retained firefighter you must live or work within four minutes of a fire station with a retained crew, be over 18 and have good all-round fitness.
For more information, click on the link, right, or call 0300 123 4046.