Tributes to former Welwyn Clock hotel owner
THE family of a former hotel owner have paid tribute to her following her death.
Doris Mildenhall, who from 1972 to 1988 ran The Clock Hotel in Welwyn with husband John, died on January 4, aged 87.
Her funeral was held last Wednesday at St Mary’s Church in Welwyn,
Doris, known as “Doll” or “Dolly”, was born in Braintree, Essex, on July 1, 1922, and married John in 1944 – they would stay together for the next 66 years.
The couple started running cafes and bed and breakfasts around Braintree, before buying the land that was to become The Clock Hotel in Welwyn, off junction six of the A1(M).
You may also want to watch:
“It was just a roadhouse when we bought it,” John, 87, said.
“I had an idea for a motel, but it just grew.”
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 3 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 4 What time will the election results come in?
- 5 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 8 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 9 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
Assisted by daughters Pauline and Pam, The Clock grew into a 98-bedroom hotel and entertainment venue, and attracted some of the big names of the era; Frank Carson, vocal group The Ink Spots, Jim Davidson and Michael Barrymore all performed there.
“They were great times,” John said. “And Doll was my partner. She was always my partner.”
Daughter Pauline added: “She was a dear mum, grandmother and great-grandmother with a sympathetic ear and time for us all, the voice of reason through all the ups and downs of family life and great fun to be with.”
The couple sold The Clock in 1988. Last year the site went up for sale for �2.5m and was bought by care home company Runwood Homes.