Tributes paid following death of Potters Bar councillor
TRIBUTES have poured in for a much loved Potters Bar councillor who died this weekend, after a long illness. Councillor Martin Heywood, who represented the Oakmere ward and was Hertsmere mayor in 2006/07, died on Saturday
TRIBUTES have poured in for a much loved Potters Bar councillor who died this weekend, after a long illness.
Councillor Martin Heywood, who represented the Oakmere ward and was Hertsmere mayor in 2006/07, died on Saturday age 56. He had been in hospital since March, suffering from a number of "serious health complaints", according to his wife, Jean.
Those who knew cllr Heywood this week lined up to pay their respects to a man who, until he fell ill, played a large part in many aspects of the community.
John Godfrey, from Potters Bar in Focus, said: "I worked with Martin on Potters Bar in Focus. He came to the meetings whenever he could.
"He was very supportive of the things we've tried to do in town, and he'll be much missed by everyone."
At the time of his death, Cllr Heywood was also president of the Potters Bar and District Scout Groups.
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 Hatfield mobile network improvements set to cause TV interference
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after £9,000 worth of crack cocaine found in bedroom
- 6 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 7 Mountain bike stolen from Welwyn Garden City shed
- 8 Christmas baubles adorn postbox toppers in Hertford crafters' festive yarnbombing event
- 9 Great family entertainment in Christmas production of Goodnight Mr Tom at the Barn Theatre in Welwyn Garden City
- 10 Welwyn Garden City BID renewed and funding secured following ballot
District scout commissioner Charles Dace said: "Despite being ill, Martin was so cheerful all the time. He always had a smile for everyone. It's very sad.