Tributes paid following death of Potters Bar councillor
TRIBUTES have poured in for a much loved Potters Bar councillor who died this weekend, after a long illness. Councillor Martin Heywood, who represented the Oakmere ward and was Hertsmere mayor in 2006/07, died on Saturday
TRIBUTES have poured in for a much loved Potters Bar councillor who died this weekend, after a long illness.
Councillor Martin Heywood, who represented the Oakmere ward and was Hertsmere mayor in 2006/07, died on Saturday age 56. He had been in hospital since March, suffering from a number of "serious health complaints", according to his wife, Jean.
Those who knew cllr Heywood this week lined up to pay their respects to a man who, until he fell ill, played a large part in many aspects of the community.
John Godfrey, from Potters Bar in Focus, said: "I worked with Martin on Potters Bar in Focus. He came to the meetings whenever he could.
You may also want to watch:
"He was very supportive of the things we've tried to do in town, and he'll be much missed by everyone."
At the time of his death, Cllr Heywood was also president of the Potters Bar and District Scout Groups.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
District scout commissioner Charles Dace said: "Despite being ill, Martin was so cheerful all the time. He always had a smile for everyone. It's very sad.