Tributes for former Hatfield and county councillor
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former county and Hatfield town councillor, who died last week.
Friends, family and politicians have lined up to praise long-standing councillor and public servant Sadie Clark, who died on June 6 aged 87 following a short illness.
Mrs Clark was born in the North East of England in 1923, but moved to Elm Drive in 1959 with her husband, former Welwyn Hatfield District Council chairman Fred Clark. She would stay there for the rest of her life.
Between 1981 and 1982, Mrs Clark was chair of what was then Hatfield Parish Council, and between 1981 and 1993 she served as a Labour councillor on Hertfordshire County Council, representing the Hatfield North ward.
She is survived by her husband and their two children, Mike and Patricia.
You may also want to watch:
“Everybody she interacted with came away with a really good impression of her humanity and her down-to-earth nature,” said Mike, 56.
Patricia, 58, added: “All through her life she was loving, kind and fair.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 4 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 7 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
“She always had the time to talk and listen, carefully giving advice when she felt it was needed.
“Mum was a very fine lady loved dearly by her husband, children, family and friends – I cannot describe how much I will miss her.”
Labour town councillor Mike Alder, a friend of Mrs Clark’s for 50 years, said: “She was one of the warmest people I’ve ever met.
“A very, very warm-hearted lady who cared about people. She was dedicated to her council work and was overall just a brilliant lady. I’m really, really sorry that she’s gone.”
County councillor Jane Pitman, who knew Mrs Clark during her time at County Hall, also paid tribute.
“Sadie Clark was always a cheerful and very committed county councillor,” Cllr Pitman said. “She always spoke up forcefully for the interests of her residents.”
Mrs Clark’s funeral will take place on July 2 at Harwood Park Crematorium near Knebworth at 1.15pm.