Treasure found near Potters Bar
A PRECIOUS artefact uncovered on land near Potters Bar has been declared as treasure. The ruling was made by Hertfordshire coroner
A PRECIOUS artefact uncovered on land near Potters Bar has been declared as treasure.
The ruling was made by Hertfordshire coroner Edward Thomas at an inquest held in Hatfield yesterday (Tuesday).
Mr Thomas described the relic, which was found using a metal detector in July 2007, as a post medieval silver bodkin, complete "with earscoop".
He said: "It is clear that it is [from the] late 16th, early 17th century."
You may also want to watch:
The exact location of the find has not been revealed, in a bid to prevent treasure hunters flocking to the area.
In declaring the bodkin as treasure, Mr Thomas said: "The contents were analysed and it was found to contain a minimum of 10 per cent precious metal.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 3 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 4 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 5 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 6 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
"Because it is over 300 years old, I am satisfied that it is treasure.
"That is the ruling I make."
Although uncommon, inquests can be held when objects that are at least 300 years old, and which contain a substantial proportion of gold and silver, are found.
The bodkin, which is being kept in the British Museum, now becomes the property of the Crown.
The finder and landowner could be in line for a reward depending on its value.
* Do you have any more information? Give us a call on 01707 384180 or email whtimes@ archant.co.uk