Travellers told to leave Hatfield site

PUBLISHED: 11:07 24 February 2014 | UPDATED: 11:07 24 February 2014

Police were called to the New Barnfield site yesterday

Police were called to the New Barnfield site yesterday

Archant

Travellers who arrived at Hatfield’s New Barnfield site were this morning (Monday) told to leave.

Officials from Herts County Council, which owns the site off Travellers Lane, were told around 15 vehicles were on the site yesterday (Sunday).

It is thought the vehicles moved in yesterday morning.

A County Hall spokeswoman said police had been made aware.

Ward councillor Paul Zukowskyj said: “I do hope an assessment of the integrity of the buildings after such damage will be undertaken, again to ensure safety of local residents.

“I’m also really astonished that action to move these travellers on can be put in place quite so quickly, given previous traveller issues in car parks and on footpaths/verges have taken weeks or even months to get resolved.

“Some clarity as to why this sort of rapid action isn’t possible when residents are being directly inconvenienced, yet where they’re not, but a county asset is being damaged, it is, would be useful.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times