Welwyn Hatfield schools shutting early due to snow
SCHOOLS across Times Territory opened as normal today (Wednesday) despite the overnight snow – although many are now making decisions about closing early.
Monk’s Walk School in WGC has already announced it will close for the day at 1.15pm.
Headteacher Philip Bunn said: “Due to severe weather, we have taken the decision to close early.
“This will enable students and staff to have time to make safe journeys home in the light.
“Given the acute travel difficulties experienced this morning, we want to ensure that everyone gets home safely.”
You may also want to watch:
He added that GCSE and A-level exams took place as scheduled today – and will again tomorrow (Thursday), regardless of whether the rest of the school is open or not.
Other early finishes include:
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 5 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 9 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 10 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
* Brookmans Park Primary School, Holy Family School in WGC, and St John’s School, Digswell, are open until 3.15pm today, although parents can collect parents early if they need to.
* Homerswood Primary School in WGC and Templewood Primary School in WGC are shutting at 1.15pm.
* Harwood Hill School in WGC and Oak View School in Hatfield are closing at 1.30pm.
* Ladbrooke School in Potters Bar and Oaklands Primary School in Welwyn are closing at 1pm.
* Rowans Primary School in WGC is open as usual – but parents can collect pupils at 1.15pm if they wish.
* St Philip Howard School in Hatfield is open until 2pm.
* Tenterfield Nursery in Welwyn is open until 3pm.