Dates set for next stage of footbridge improvements at Welwyn Garden City station
- Credit: JThomas
The next phase of work to improve the footbridge at Welwyn Garden City station will begin later this month.
From Saturday, November 20, Network Rail teams will carry out repairs to the steelwork underneath the bridge to strengthen it so that it "remains fit for purpose for years to come". The work was set to be completed this summer after the project was delayed after over 100 hidden defects were discovered.
This is the latest stage of improvements and follows work which took place last year to strengthen the bridge, repair and repaint the latticework and install new lighting. Rail services won't be affected by the work.
While the work is going on, stairs to/from Hydeway will temporarily close at 6am on Saturday until 4.30am on Monday on the following dates:
- November 20-22
- November 27-29
- December 4-6
- December 11-13
- December 18-20
- January 29-31
During this time, pedestrians wanting to enter or exit the station via Hydeway will need to walk via Bridge Road to the main station entrance in the shopping centre which will still have access to the footbridge and platforms.
Sarah Reid, route director for Network Rail’s East Coast route, said: “We’ve already made major improvements to the footbridge at Welwyn Garden City station and this latest stage of work will make sure it can connect people between the town centre, the railway station and east Welwyn Garden City for years to come.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes and we’d like to thank passengers and people in the community for their patience.”
- 1 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 2 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 3 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 4 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 8 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 9 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 10 From Russia with love... Catherine The Great series returns to Hatfield for season two of period drama
Jenny Saunders, customer services director for Great Northern, said: "It may take you longer to get into the station if you normally use the footbridge from Hydeway on the east side of the tracks, so please allow extra time.”