Village parking petition approved by council
A PETITION signed by almost 400 people to change parking outside a village shopping parade has been successful.
Dellsome Lane, Welham Green, has been put on Welwyn Hatfield Council’s ‘Parking Priorities’ list to be approved by the cabinet.
The villagers and the 17 businessmen, who signed the document, wanted to lift restricted parking on Saturdays. Their plea was approved by the council’s cabinet housing and planning panel, which has placed the scheme to number eight on the list.
Currently the road allows parking for up to 40 minutes from 10am to noon, Monday to Saturday.
But this will be revamped, so that Saturdays are no longer affected, after villagers called the scheme “inadequate parking and unfair restrictions”.
You may also want to watch:
A statement from the council read: “Businesses and residents should be made aware of the risk that allowing parking spaces for residents and businesses could reduce parking spaces for shoppers.
“It will potentially have a knock on effect to the businesses if a permit scheme is introduced for the parking places in front of the shops.”
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 6 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 9 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed