Uno bus fire drama in Hatfield town centre
- Credit: Cambs Fire & Rescue Service
Drama hit Hatfield town centre on Monday night when an Uno Bus caught fire.
The bus was travelling east on Queensway when the driver noticed smoke. He pulled to the side of the road and phoned the fire brigade.
The road was closed for a short period while the fire was brought under control.
James Thorpe, managing director of Uno Buses Ltd, said: “At around 17.00 last night (Monday) an Uno bus on route 653 was stopped at a bus stop outside Asda in Hatfield because there was smoke emerging from the rear of the bus. The bus was immediately evacuated and the emergency services were called.
“There were no injuries to passengers or the driver. We would like to reassure the community that the safety of passengers is a priority and a full investigation is being carried out to establish the cause of the fault.”
A spokesman for the fire service said: “We were called at 5.10pm to a fire on a single-decker bus outside ASDA at Hatfield. The fire was within the engine compartment and one crew from WGC was dispatched.
“Breathing apparatus and a hose reel were used to extinguish the fire.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 8 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 9 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 10 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
“By 5.33pm we were confident the situation was in hand and the area was safe.”