Uno bus fire drama in Hatfield town centre
- Credit: Cambs Fire & Rescue Service
Drama hit Hatfield town centre on Monday night when an Uno Bus caught fire.
The bus was travelling east on Queensway when the driver noticed smoke. He pulled to the side of the road and phoned the fire brigade.
The road was closed for a short period while the fire was brought under control.
James Thorpe, managing director of Uno Buses Ltd, said: “At around 17.00 last night (Monday) an Uno bus on route 653 was stopped at a bus stop outside Asda in Hatfield because there was smoke emerging from the rear of the bus. The bus was immediately evacuated and the emergency services were called.
“There were no injuries to passengers or the driver. We would like to reassure the community that the safety of passengers is a priority and a full investigation is being carried out to establish the cause of the fault.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the fire service said: “We were called at 5.10pm to a fire on a single-decker bus outside ASDA at Hatfield. The fire was within the engine compartment and one crew from WGC was dispatched.
“Breathing apparatus and a hose reel were used to extinguish the fire.
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 6 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 7 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
“By 5.33pm we were confident the situation was in hand and the area was safe.”