Treacherous ‘ice rink’ conditions outside Hatfield school
“ICE rink” roads and pavements around a Hatfield school saw parents and children “sliding around all over the place” this morning (Tuesday).
Former Lib Dem Parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj attacked the County Council’s lack of gritting around The Ryde School, in Pleasant Rise.
Mr Zukowskyj said: “Last year there was a huge furore over the council’s preparedness for inclement weather, particularly snow, and we were assured that they were much better prepared.
“But I’ve just taken my daughter to school and roads outside schools are supposed to be a priority for gritting.
“It was like an ice rink this morning and parents and children were sliding around all over the place.”
You may also want to watch:
A county council spokeswoman said schools were not a priority area for gritting and the main focus was on “A-roads, B-roads routes in and out of villages and bus routes”.
Pavements would also be gritted as a secondary concern after main roads.
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 8 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
She added: “Schools are offered salt so they can make sure access is safe.”