Treacherous ‘ice rink’ conditions outside Hatfield school
“ICE rink” roads and pavements around a Hatfield school saw parents and children “sliding around all over the place” this morning (Tuesday).
Former Lib Dem Parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj attacked the County Council’s lack of gritting around The Ryde School, in Pleasant Rise.
Mr Zukowskyj said: “Last year there was a huge furore over the council’s preparedness for inclement weather, particularly snow, and we were assured that they were much better prepared.
“But I’ve just taken my daughter to school and roads outside schools are supposed to be a priority for gritting.
“It was like an ice rink this morning and parents and children were sliding around all over the place.”
A county council spokeswoman said schools were not a priority area for gritting and the main focus was on “A-roads, B-roads routes in and out of villages and bus routes”.
Pavements would also be gritted as a secondary concern after main roads.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 3 Work begins on Welwyn Garden City’s new-look Anniversary Gardens
- 4 Buyers can now reserve an apartment in Hatfield Rise
- 5 Cash stolen from elderly man using bank ATM
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 9 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 10 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
She added: “Schools are offered salt so they can make sure access is safe.”