Treacherous ‘ice rink’ conditions outside Hatfield school
“ICE rink” roads and pavements around a Hatfield school saw parents and children “sliding around all over the place” this morning (Tuesday).
Former Lib Dem Parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj attacked the County Council’s lack of gritting around The Ryde School, in Pleasant Rise.
Mr Zukowskyj said: “Last year there was a huge furore over the council’s preparedness for inclement weather, particularly snow, and we were assured that they were much better prepared.
“But I’ve just taken my daughter to school and roads outside schools are supposed to be a priority for gritting.
“It was like an ice rink this morning and parents and children were sliding around all over the place.”
A county council spokeswoman said schools were not a priority area for gritting and the main focus was on “A-roads, B-roads routes in and out of villages and bus routes”.
Pavements would also be gritted as a secondary concern after main roads.
- 1 Uni of Herts student loses arm on Turkish holiday
- 2 Snakes abandoned in pillow case outside Potters Bar reptile shop
- 3 14 bank cards stolen due to ATM fraud
- 4 Dancing in the streets at first WGC Vintage Festival
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Campaigners close in on fundraising target ahead BioPark appeal
- 7 Multi-vehicle crash on M25 near Potters Bar
- 8 Head injury follows taxi assault in Potters Bar
- 9 Children take to the stage for Potters Bar talent show
- 10 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
She added: “Schools are offered salt so they can make sure access is safe.”