Treacherous ‘ice rink’ conditions outside Hatfield school
“ICE rink” roads and pavements around a Hatfield school saw parents and children “sliding around all over the place” this morning (Tuesday).
Former Lib Dem Parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj attacked the County Council’s lack of gritting around The Ryde School, in Pleasant Rise.
Mr Zukowskyj said: “Last year there was a huge furore over the council’s preparedness for inclement weather, particularly snow, and we were assured that they were much better prepared.
“But I’ve just taken my daughter to school and roads outside schools are supposed to be a priority for gritting.
“It was like an ice rink this morning and parents and children were sliding around all over the place.”
You may also want to watch:
A county council spokeswoman said schools were not a priority area for gritting and the main focus was on “A-roads, B-roads routes in and out of villages and bus routes”.
Pavements would also be gritted as a secondary concern after main roads.
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 7 Two more acts added to Hatfield music festival's 'line-up of headliners' for 2022
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 'So much for grassroots tennis' - Price hike at Gosling Sports Park sparks ire
- 10 New Local Plan timetable aims for summer deadline
She added: “Schools are offered salt so they can make sure access is safe.”