Travellers pitch up in Welwyn Garden City near Panshanger Golf Course
- Credit: Archant
At least 12 vehicles including caravans have pitched up on green space in Welwyn Garden City this afternoon (Friday, May 25).
The caravans were spotted at about noon by several residents on land in between Welwyn Garden City Football Club and Panshanger Golf Course.
A Welwyn Hatfield Council spokeswoman said: “We were notified earlier today that an unauthorised encampment has arrived on land close to the Welwyn Garden City Football Club and Panshanger Golf Course on Herns Way.
“Checks are being made to ascertain who owns the land, and a welfare visit will be made by Herts County Council as it is understood children are there.
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
Updates to follow.
- 1 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 4 'Friendship zone' created in Welwyn school
- 5 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 6 Queensway House still not fully fireproof
- 7 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 8 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 9 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 10 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again