Travellers pitch up in Welwyn Garden City near Panshanger Golf Course
- Credit: Archant
At least 12 vehicles including caravans have pitched up on green space in Welwyn Garden City this afternoon (Friday, May 25).
The caravans were spotted at about noon by several residents on land in between Welwyn Garden City Football Club and Panshanger Golf Course.
A Welwyn Hatfield Council spokeswoman said: “We were notified earlier today that an unauthorised encampment has arrived on land close to the Welwyn Garden City Football Club and Panshanger Golf Course on Herns Way.
“Checks are being made to ascertain who owns the land, and a welfare visit will be made by Herts County Council as it is understood children are there.
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
You may also want to watch:
Updates to follow.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 5 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 9 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 10 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed