Travel update after nine-vehicle crash near Hatfield
- Credit: Archant
Motorists are being warned to expect the travel chaos to persist for over an hour following a nine-vehicle crash near Hatfield this morning.
The A1(M) southbound carriageway was closed between junctions one and three, causing long tailbacks to junction six for Welwyn.
There are also mile-long knock-on queues clogging up the M25 between Potters Bar and the A1(M) junction.
Highways England confirmed all lanes have now been cleared, so congestion on the M25 should ease, but warned knock-on traffic on the A1(M) between Hatfield and Welwyn is expected to persist until around 11.30am.
The chaos resulted in police setting up several diversion routes in WGC, which led to standstills in Bessemer Road, Woodhall and Stanborough.
You may also want to watch:
Officers also closed the A1(M) entry slip road at Junction 4, causing congestion on the roundabout near Tesco, but that has now been lifted and traffic is expected to ease.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022