Travel update after nine-vehicle crash near Hatfield
- Credit: Archant
Motorists are being warned to expect the travel chaos to persist for over an hour following a nine-vehicle crash near Hatfield this morning.
The A1(M) southbound carriageway was closed between junctions one and three, causing long tailbacks to junction six for Welwyn.
There are also mile-long knock-on queues clogging up the M25 between Potters Bar and the A1(M) junction.
Highways England confirmed all lanes have now been cleared, so congestion on the M25 should ease, but warned knock-on traffic on the A1(M) between Hatfield and Welwyn is expected to persist until around 11.30am.
The chaos resulted in police setting up several diversion routes in WGC, which led to standstills in Bessemer Road, Woodhall and Stanborough.
You may also want to watch:
Officers also closed the A1(M) entry slip road at Junction 4, causing congestion on the roundabout near Tesco, but that has now been lifted and traffic is expected to ease.
- 1 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 2 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 3 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 6 Officer injured and music equipment and alcohol seized after party
- 7 Old school gym demolished to make way for new facility
- 8 Multiple fines issued to partygoers at 'dangerous' music event
- 9 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 10 Crashes and flooding on A1(M) and M25 causing delays