Police car involved in A1(M) crash near Welwyn Garden City
- Credit: Archant
A crash on the A1(M) involving a police car near Welwyn Garden City this afternoon (Monday, September 3) has caused traffic to be diverted.
Highways England tweeted at 1.20pm that following the collision near Junction 6, motorists are being diverted via the exit and entry slip roads as the vehicles involved in the crash are blocking the carriageway.
A police car had stopped to help a motorist who had broken down on the northbound carriageway, but while there, a Honda Civic crashed into the police car.
A police spokeswoman confirmed no one was seriously injured but the road has been closed to allow the vehicles to be recovered.
A Highways England spokesman said that all lanes have now reopened, but added: “[There are] long delays of approximately one hour remaining in the area, although they should start to ease.
You may also want to watch:
“Please allow extra time for your journey, should you be travelling in the area.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 7 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals