Swallow hole in Welwyn Garden City ‘leaves sewer exposed’
- Credit: Archant
A HUGE swallow hole was said to have left a sewer exposed and a road closed.
Traffic chaos ensued as the ground gave way in Applecroft Road, WGC today (Monday) leaving already congested roads during school closing time full of cars.
A school crossing patrol man, who did not want to be named, said: “It was filled in on Friday and I went over it this morning with my car.
“I think it’s a collapsed sewer, you can smell it if you get close to it.”
One parent was picking his son up from Applecroft School near to the site and said: “There’s a big hole in the ground, it’s not very safe.”
You may also want to watch:
Hertfordshire Highways, the county council’s roads department, tweeted: “Applecroft Road, Welwyn Garden City closed due to a swallow hole in the carriageway.
“Emergency response team in attendance.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 10 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
* For the latest on this story buy the Welwyn Hatfeld Times on Wednesday.