Swallow hole in Welwyn Garden City ‘leaves sewer exposed’
- Credit: Archant
A HUGE swallow hole was said to have left a sewer exposed and a road closed.
Traffic chaos ensued as the ground gave way in Applecroft Road, WGC today (Monday) leaving already congested roads during school closing time full of cars.
A school crossing patrol man, who did not want to be named, said: “It was filled in on Friday and I went over it this morning with my car.
“I think it’s a collapsed sewer, you can smell it if you get close to it.”
One parent was picking his son up from Applecroft School near to the site and said: “There’s a big hole in the ground, it’s not very safe.”
You may also want to watch:
Hertfordshire Highways, the county council’s roads department, tweeted: “Applecroft Road, Welwyn Garden City closed due to a swallow hole in the carriageway.
“Emergency response team in attendance.”
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
* For the latest on this story buy the Welwyn Hatfeld Times on Wednesday.