Swallow hole in Welwyn Garden City ‘leaves sewer exposed’
- Credit: Archant
A HUGE swallow hole was said to have left a sewer exposed and a road closed.
Traffic chaos ensued as the ground gave way in Applecroft Road, WGC today (Monday) leaving already congested roads during school closing time full of cars.
A school crossing patrol man, who did not want to be named, said: “It was filled in on Friday and I went over it this morning with my car.
“I think it’s a collapsed sewer, you can smell it if you get close to it.”
One parent was picking his son up from Applecroft School near to the site and said: “There’s a big hole in the ground, it’s not very safe.”
You may also want to watch:
Hertfordshire Highways, the county council’s roads department, tweeted: “Applecroft Road, Welwyn Garden City closed due to a swallow hole in the carriageway.
“Emergency response team in attendance.”
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 9 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 10 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
* For the latest on this story buy the Welwyn Hatfeld Times on Wednesday.