Swallow hole in Welwyn Garden City ‘leaves sewer exposed’
- Credit: Archant
A HUGE swallow hole was said to have left a sewer exposed and a road closed.
Traffic chaos ensued as the ground gave way in Applecroft Road, WGC today (Monday) leaving already congested roads during school closing time full of cars.
A school crossing patrol man, who did not want to be named, said: “It was filled in on Friday and I went over it this morning with my car.
“I think it’s a collapsed sewer, you can smell it if you get close to it.”
One parent was picking his son up from Applecroft School near to the site and said: “There’s a big hole in the ground, it’s not very safe.”
You may also want to watch:
Hertfordshire Highways, the county council’s roads department, tweeted: “Applecroft Road, Welwyn Garden City closed due to a swallow hole in the carriageway.
“Emergency response team in attendance.”
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 5 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 6 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 7 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 8 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 9 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
* For the latest on this story buy the Welwyn Hatfeld Times on Wednesday.