Sickened by Norway island horror
A WELWYN man has spoken of his absolute horror as the twin attacks in Norway brought back memories of happier times in a Scandinavian youth camp.
Sandy Walkington told the Welwyn Hatfield Times he was sick to the core when he heard the news 68 people were gunned down in the island camp of Utoya, following the bomb blast in Oslo that killed eight.
Mr Walkington, from Hobbs Hill, is the Liberal Democrat parliamentary spokesman for St Albans and attended a similar political camp in Sweden in 1981.
The camp in Norway was organised for young members of the ruling Labour party.
Mr Walkington said: “When the news came in I could picture it.
“I went to an island camp near Stockholm, Sweden where I was a guest speaker for the Liberals.
“The kids were there to have fun time, swimming, sailing, sunbathing, singing round the campfire with the occasional political speech, it was a great experience.”
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Cuffley home care company recognised among best in east of England
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Local man will be flying high in an effort to raise much needed funds for Potential Kids
- 8 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 9 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Changes to rubbish and recycling bin collection days in Welwyn Hatfield
- 10 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
Speaking of the attacks, which right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik has admitted carrying out, Mr Walkington said he was horrified.
“I felt sick to the core, this was a youth wing of a political party.
“These were great occasions for young people who had a sense of social responsibility, that is why they belong to a youth wing of a political party.
“What has happened is unspeakable.”