Plans to charge at Welwyn car parks revealed
BLUNDERING officials have mistakenly revealed plans to introduce parking charges into two more Times Territory car parks.
Welwyn Hatfield Council has extended its contract with CP-Plus – the management firm which took over the running of six council-owned car parks last year – to now include the High Street and Lockleys Drive facilities in Welwyn.
It means motorists will have to pay to park in some 100 spaces which are currently free to use.
The move was announced in a press release sent to the WHT by press officers working for CP-Plus – to the embarrassment of colleagues at Welwyn Hatfield Council, who were forced into claiming that no final decision had been made.
A council spokeswoman said plans were at the “very early stages” and that any changes to parking in Welwyn would not be done without consulting residents, businesses and Welwyn Parish Council first.
You may also want to watch:
The spokeswoman said: “Working together with Welwyn Parish Council and Hertfordshire County Council, a parking survey was carried out in October 2010.
“Using the findings from this survey we are in the very early stages of looking at ways to improve the parking situation in Welwyn.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 5 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 10 Brookmans Park pub reopens with more outdoor space for eating and drinking
“As soon as a proposal is finalised, we will be following due process and consulting with local residents, businesses and our partners, including the Welwyn Parish Council.”
That was in stark contrast to CP-Plus’ statement, which definitively stated: “Solar powered Pay and Display machines will serve around 100 spaces when the car parking charges come into place later this year.”
This week, however, a CP-Plus spokesman said the press release had been sent by mistake.
“We would like to reiterate what the council has stated – that no decision has been made to date and we are working closely with the council moving forward,” he said.
“However, due to an error on our part, we prematurely put out an announcement regarding aspects of our relationship moving forward.
“We would like to apologise for any misunderstanding or inconvenience caused.”
John Blackburn, vice-chairman of Welwyn Parish Council, was not against the idea of introducing a parking scheme to the village.
But he aired concerns about the way Welwyn Hatfield Council seemed to be imposing restrictions with little consideration for the public’s views.
Citing the recent decision to introduce a three hour parking restriction at King George V playing fields in WGC, despite residents’ protestations, Cllr Blackburn said: “It would be nice if we were consulted about this sort of thing.”