Overnight closures in Hatfield tunnel
OVERNIGHT road closures will be in place on the A1(M) this weekend as work to overhaul the Hatfield Tunnel continues.
The motorway – which had initially been set to close overnight over the past weekend – will now shut between junctions 3 and 4 from 10pm this Friday to 5am on Saturday.
It will also be shut between 10pm on Sunday and 5am on Monday.
A fully-signed diversion route via the A1001 and A414 will be in operation during this time.
As a result of these changes, there will be a two-lane contraflow in both directions in the northbound tunnel while the southbound tunnel is being revamped.
You may also want to watch:
There will be narrow lanes and a 40mph speed limit 24 hours a day.
Drivers are being warned to expect moderate delays.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
A spokesman for the Highways Agency, which is overseeing the refurbishment of the tunnel, said last weekend’s work was postponed for safety reasons.
The refurbishment is due to be completed in spring 2011.