Overnight closures in Hatfield tunnel
OVERNIGHT road closures will be in place on the A1(M) this weekend as work to overhaul the Hatfield Tunnel continues.
The motorway – which had initially been set to close overnight over the past weekend – will now shut between junctions 3 and 4 from 10pm this Friday to 5am on Saturday.
It will also be shut between 10pm on Sunday and 5am on Monday.
A fully-signed diversion route via the A1001 and A414 will be in operation during this time.
As a result of these changes, there will be a two-lane contraflow in both directions in the northbound tunnel while the southbound tunnel is being revamped.
You may also want to watch:
There will be narrow lanes and a 40mph speed limit 24 hours a day.
Drivers are being warned to expect moderate delays.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
A spokesman for the Highways Agency, which is overseeing the refurbishment of the tunnel, said last weekend’s work was postponed for safety reasons.
The refurbishment is due to be completed in spring 2011.