Number of distracted motorists increases in Hatfield
MOTORISTS have been spotted eating breakfast, applying make-up and even sorting coins as they drove through Hatfield this week.
Officers from Hertfordshire County Council conducted a survey yesterday (Wednesday) morning at the Comet roundabout, to count the number of distracted drivers passing through Times Territory.
In the space of an hour, a staggering 48 drivers were seen carrying out various tasks while behind the wheel, which included 19 people talking on mobile phones, 10 people texting, eight eating breakfast, five drinking drinks, three motorists reading and one applying make-up, one putting on a watch and another sorting coins.
Hertfordshire County Council said the figures are “considerably worse” than last year, with a noticeable increase in the number of people texting and using a hand held phone on speaker.
County councillor Stuart Pile, executive member for Highways and Transport, said: “It is worrying that people just do not seem to be getting the message. The chances of being involved in a serious collision greatly increase if you drive while distracted by mobile phones and other activities.
You may also want to watch:
“Even when you’re waiting in traffic, you still need to pay attention to what’s going on around you. It’s easy to feel complacent once you’ve been driving for a while, but taking your eyes off the road for just a second could have a major impact on your ability to stop in an emergency.
“Is answering a phone call, snacking or texting really so important that you’re willing to risk your own life or that of another person?”
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
Last year, over 4,350 drivers in Hertfordshire were fined and picked up points on their licence for distraction driving-related offences.