Notorious Welwyn Garden City pothole road to close for repairs
A NOTORIOUS pothole road in Welwyn Garden City will be closed for resurfacing work this weekend February 19 and 20.
The county council confirmed the closure of Birchall Lane, which has been described as a “major catastrophe waiting to happen”.
Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: “This stretch of road has been particularly badly damaged by a combination of the winter weather and the number of lorries that need to use this road.
“We know residents have been concerned by the damage so we have arranged the resurfacing work as quickly as possible.
“This is a busy road so there will be disruption as a result of the closure, but we hope that by closing the road over the weekend when it isn’t used by so many commuters, we can keep this to a minimum.
You may also want to watch:
“Please follow the diversion signs and allow extra time for your journeys. We will try to get the road open again as quickly as possible.”
The works depend on weather conditions and the council said they may take longer if there is bad weather at the weekend.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 4 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 5 Police disperse large group near the university
- 6 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 7 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 8 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 9 Care home 'delighted' with COVID-19 vaccine rollout
- 10 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
• Further details about the works will be available later this week on www.hertsdirect.org/roadworks