Notorious Welwyn Garden City pothole road to close for repairs
A NOTORIOUS pothole road in Welwyn Garden City will be closed for resurfacing work this weekend February 19 and 20.
The county council confirmed the closure of Birchall Lane, which has been described as a “major catastrophe waiting to happen”.
Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: “This stretch of road has been particularly badly damaged by a combination of the winter weather and the number of lorries that need to use this road.
“We know residents have been concerned by the damage so we have arranged the resurfacing work as quickly as possible.
“This is a busy road so there will be disruption as a result of the closure, but we hope that by closing the road over the weekend when it isn’t used by so many commuters, we can keep this to a minimum.
“Please follow the diversion signs and allow extra time for your journeys. We will try to get the road open again as quickly as possible.”
The works depend on weather conditions and the council said they may take longer if there is bad weather at the weekend.
- 1 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 2 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 3 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 4 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 9 "The older generation still knows how to have a good time"
- 10 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
• Further details about the works will be available later this week on www.hertsdirect.org/roadworks