Notorious Welwyn Garden City pothole road to close for repairs
A NOTORIOUS pothole road in Welwyn Garden City will be closed for resurfacing work this weekend February 19 and 20.
The county council confirmed the closure of Birchall Lane, which has been described as a “major catastrophe waiting to happen”.
Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: “This stretch of road has been particularly badly damaged by a combination of the winter weather and the number of lorries that need to use this road.
“We know residents have been concerned by the damage so we have arranged the resurfacing work as quickly as possible.
“This is a busy road so there will be disruption as a result of the closure, but we hope that by closing the road over the weekend when it isn’t used by so many commuters, we can keep this to a minimum.
You may also want to watch:
“Please follow the diversion signs and allow extra time for your journeys. We will try to get the road open again as quickly as possible.”
The works depend on weather conditions and the council said they may take longer if there is bad weather at the weekend.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 6 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 9 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
• Further details about the works will be available later this week on www.hertsdirect.org/roadworks