Notorious Welwyn Garden City pothole road to close for repairs
A NOTORIOUS pothole road in Welwyn Garden City will be closed for resurfacing work this weekend February 19 and 20.
The county council confirmed the closure of Birchall Lane, which has been described as a “major catastrophe waiting to happen”.
Stuart Pile, executive member for highways and transport, said: “This stretch of road has been particularly badly damaged by a combination of the winter weather and the number of lorries that need to use this road.
“We know residents have been concerned by the damage so we have arranged the resurfacing work as quickly as possible.
“This is a busy road so there will be disruption as a result of the closure, but we hope that by closing the road over the weekend when it isn’t used by so many commuters, we can keep this to a minimum.
You may also want to watch:
“Please follow the diversion signs and allow extra time for your journeys. We will try to get the road open again as quickly as possible.”
The works depend on weather conditions and the council said they may take longer if there is bad weather at the weekend.
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 5 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 10 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
• Further details about the works will be available later this week on www.hertsdirect.org/roadworks