No trains on First Capital Connect’s Great Northern route due to driver shortage
RAILWAY stations across Times Territory are deserted today (Sunday) because there are not enough drivers to operate the trains.
ALL First Capital Connect (FCC) rail services through Times Territory’s main stations have been cancelled today.
The entire Sunday service running into London King’s Cross on the Great Northern route has been scrapped due to a driver shortage.
This means there will be no trains departing from Knebworth, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, Welham Green, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar.
Railway stations from Stevenage and Hitchin through to Huntingdon and Peterborough are also affected.
You may also want to watch:
Throughout the rail industry, weekend shifts are normally staffed voluntarily by drivers.
But FCC, which runs the Great Northern service, said not enough staff had volunteered to work overtime this weekend.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 6 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 7 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 8 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 9 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 10 New car park proposed for park
A statement on the FCC website said: “We are sorry to announce that owing to a lack of available drivers, there will be no First Capital Connect train services on the Great Northern route this Sunday.
“We strongly advise against travel unless absolutely necessary.
“The services that we can operate are likely to be extremely busy.”
The FCC statement added: “We are continuing to work towards a resolution to these problems and to provide alternative transport where possible and will post any updates on this website.
“We regret any inconvenience this disruption will cause.”
A customer information notice on the ticket machine at Welwyn Garden City station said: “Due to a shortage of available train drivers we are unable to operate a train service on the above date [Sunday, November 8].
“We are very sorry for the disruption this will cause to your journey.”
There was a similar notice posted on the entrance to the Hatfield station.
It simply said: “There will be no train services on the Great Northern route due to no available drivers.”
Check First Capital Connect’s website – www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk – for further details.
FCC tickets will be accepted on London bus services via any reasonable route.
Call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 484950 for alternative rail routes.