‘No point’ in salting roads again - Hertfordshire County Council
MOTORISTS are being warned to take care on the roads this morning (Monday), after heavy snowfall brought traffic to a crawl – and there’s nothing Hertfordshire County Council can do about it.
Adverse weather conditions are again affecting people’s journeys to work today, as snow turned to sludge, and made driving conditions once again treacherous.
But while drivers were warned by Hertfordshire County Council to take the usual precautions, the council added it would not be sending out gritters to salt the roads this morning.
That’s because the salt – which doesn’t work below temperatures of minus 6 degrees – also doesn’t work in temperatures above freezing, the Welwyn Hatfield Times was told.
A council spokeswoman said: “There wouldn’t be much point [in putting down salt], if road temperatures are above zero degrees. Salt is there for icy conditions.”
You may also want to watch:
She added that the weather is expected to improve throughout the day and that the slush should start to clear by the afternoon.
Meanwhile, several roads in and out of Times Territory are clogged with traffic.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
A car has landed in a ditch in Dixons Hill Road in Welham Green after a collision at around 8.30am.
Traffic is slow through Ascots Lane in WGC, while the A414 towards Hatfield at a standstill following an earlier accident at 8.20am.
And the A414 is also slow heading towards Hertford, because of a broken down vehicle on Hertford Road.
*Have you been affected by the snow? Contact the newsdesk on 01707 384 187 or email Ross Logan.