New trains for Welwyn Hatfield introduced this week after delay
- Credit: Archant
New trains that were sitting idle for months will finally start to be used between Welwyn Hatfield and London.
The new 717 specification trains were supposed to be gradually introduced from January, but were delayed due to concerns about driver safety.
Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who has been in close contact with executives at Govia Thameslink Railway, said: "The new trains are a huge improvement on the last fleet, which were some of the oldest in Britain.
"For months my constituents and I have suffered with overcrowding while the 717s have been sitting unused in the sidings. Their full introduction is certainly welcome news."
A spokesperson for Govia said: "We are introducing two new trains this week and one next week, which will bring the total to eight in service. The remainder will be phased in over the coming months.
You may also want to watch:
"The new trains will run on routes between Welwyn Garden City and Moorgate, and between Hertford North and Moorgate; and at weekends also between Stevenage and Moorgate."
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 8 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022