Luton Airport expansion must be stopped, Welwyn Hatfield panel rules
- Credit: Archant
PRESSURE would be heaped on Hertfordshire’s roads and night flights would cause misery for Welwyn Hatfield residents if an airport expands, it was claimed last night (Thursday).
A cross-party group at Wewlyn Hatfield Council voted to object to Luton Airport’s plan – which could see the number of passengers leap from 9.5m to 18m a year.
It is feared the increase in flyers will put strain on the B653 close to WGC, with politicians now set to contact Luton Council objecting to the planning application.
Councillors made their feelings known at Welwyn Hatfield Council’s cabinet Housing and Planning Panel.
Housing boss cllr Mandy Perkins, Conservative, said night flight noise is already a problem in the borough.
You may also want to watch:
“I am an Oaklands resident and there are summer night where you have the window open and the planes are, or appear to be, coming in so low that I look up and take note of the time and say: ‘If this plane crashes, I can say it came over at 2.44am,’” she said.
Councillor Perkins also raised concerns that any cash developers pay to boost infrastructure would stay in Luton, despite the proposal having a “knock on effect” on Herts.
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 6 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 9 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 10 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
In a brief debate, Liberal Democrat cllr Malcolm Cowan said he was worried about public transport links from Welwyn Hatfield to the Bedfordshire transport hub.