Late night bus service from Hatfield railway station to Hatfield Garden village to be axed
A BUS route relied upon by elderly and vulnerable people will have its operating hours cut back to save cash.
The 607 circular route, which serves Hatfield Garden Village, will finish three-and-a-half hours earlier from March 28.
The last bus will now leave Hatfield Station at 7.35pm on Monday to Friday, instead of 11.05pm.
At the weekend, the last round trip will start from the station at 6.35pm.
A regular user, who did not wish to be named, told the WHT: “All the bus drivers are a bit cagey, they’re all worried about their jobs.
You may also want to watch:
“Elderly and vulnerable people rely on the service.”
He added: “It will cause quite a lot of hardship to a lot of people – it’s a very popular service.”
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 5 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
But, despite the cuts, the county council says the 607’s new timetable “should hopefully accommodate the majority of commuters travelling home from the station to the Garden Village”.
A spokeswoman said: “The usage of the service in the later evening is limited and funding at the current level cannot be sustained for a limited number of customers.
“A change in service is therefore being made to maximise the use of our service support funding and Section 106 funding on other transport projects, including the provision of real-time passenger information.”