New young face in the driving seat for Welwyn Garden City-based road safety charity
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City-based national road safety charity has appointed a new ambassador for younger drivers.
After the completion of its ‘Get Into The Driving Seat’ recruitment competition, IAM RoadSmart has announced that David Gallagher will be its next Younger Driver Ambassador for 2017/18.
The 23-year-old from Sedgley, near Wolverhampton, triumphed in the closely fought contest, which saw him and a number of other finalists get a grilling at the charity’s WGC headquarters from a team of judges that included 1992 Formula 1 World Champion Nigel Mansell, IAM RoadSmart chief executive officer Sarah Sillars, and founder of First Car magazine James Evans.
David follows in the footsteps of Eloise Peabody-Rolf, who has successfully held the position of Younger Driver Ambassador from last September to August 2017. She goes to university next month.
The role, which is a one-year internship, was widely promoted through IAM RoadSmart’s communication channels and via a nationwide media campaign, including a feature in the Welwyn Hatfield Times’ monthly magazine.
You may also want to watch:
The Younger Driver Ambassador is a high-profile position with the successful candidate becoming the voice of younger drivers nationwide.
In his new role David will take on a variety of responsibilities including lobbying for change within the organisation, travelling up and down the country visiting schools and colleges, and working with the charity’s 200 plus groups throughout the UK as they look to attract younger drivers to the IAM RoadSmart community.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
“I am delighted to have landed the job and can’t wait to get started,” said David.
“I feel it’s really important to get younger drivers interested in what IAM RoadSmart can offer while they are still in the learning mindset.
“I really hope I can make a difference, even in a small way.”
David’s car credentials go back a long way.
He learnt to drive unofficially age 11 on private land, and confesses to being into “anything with an engine” including ride-on lawnmowers!
Passing his driving test first time age 17, David became involved in his local IAM RoadSmart group in Wolverhampton, rapidly becoming their young driver representative.
He also took the Advanced Driving Test and achieved a F1RST standard.
Since leaving school David has held a variety of jobs including assistant to club photographer and groundsman at West Bromwich Albion and swimming coach at Bilston Swimming Club.
With six years of driving experience without a single incident, David now drives a Skoda Superb.
• To find out the name of your own local IAM RoadSmart group, visit www.iamroadsmart.com/local-groups